Author: Katerine Whattoff-Hall (Hamama Friends group member, find the original post here!)
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 15 min
Makes: 4 servings
This colorful grain bowl is a great make-ahead option for lunches or warm summer evenings. Gluten free & vegetarian farro bowls for the whole family! Mix in Super Salad Mix microgreens from HAMAMA for nutrition and flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 2 cups grilled vegetable mixture from (grilled caponata panini), coarsely chopped
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- Lime wedges
1. To cook the farro, simmer 1 cup uncooked unpearled farro in about 6 cups water for 25 minutes or until slightly chewy, and then drain, cool, and refrigerate. The bowls are delicious at room temperature, but you can also heat the beans with a splash of chicken stock and reheat the vegetables in a sauté pan with 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil. Cold eggs are best for soft-boiling so the yolk stays slightly runny after the whites are set. Add straight from the refrigerator once the water starts to boil.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro mixture. Add farro to remaining cilantro mixture; toss to coat.
3. Divide farro mixture, chopped grilled vegetables, beans, cheese, and avocado among 4 shallow bowls. Drizzle with reserved 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
(Some recipe inspiration from Cooking Light too!)