Crispy Chicken & Bacon Caesar Salad
Recipe: Crispy Chicken & Bacon Caesar Salad
Author: Allie, Hamama Happiness Team Member
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Makes: One Large Dinner Salad for 2
This kicked-up Caesar salad rivals any restaurant version! The crispy breaded chicken, smokey bacon, peppery arugula, nutty parmesan/asiago cheese, and bright lemon zest is a winning combination!
Tip: Make it dairy-free by swapping the cheese with nutritional yeast and making a homemade tahini “caesar” dressing (recipe below)!
Other great add-ins: hard boiled egg slices, fresh avocado chunks, or charred corn!
- 2 small chicken breasts, butterflied
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 TBSP Italian Seasoning (I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute)
1 Cup of Panko Breadcrumbs (I used a Gluten Free version here)
- Sale & Pepper to taste
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked & roughly chopped
- 5 ounces of Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- Big handful of fresh arugula
- Big handful of Hamama microgreens (I used Zesty & Super Salad Mixes here)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup of carrot shreds
- Freshly shaved parmesan or asiago cheese
Bhuja Seasoned Crunchy Peas (can sub your favorite croutons)
- Zest of 1 lemon, divided
- Your favorite Caesar dressing, or this dairy-free tahini caesar dressing!
Dairy-free Homemade Tahini Caesar Dressing:
- 1/3 cup drippy tahini
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tsp capers (green olives or anchovies can be used as a substitute!)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup water
In a blender or food processor, combine all of the dressing ingredients and mix. Start with adding 1/4 cup water and gradually add more until desired consistency is achieved.
- Cook your bacon and set aside.
- Bread your butterflied (or thinly sliced) chicken breasts: Set one bowl out with olive oil, minced garlic, and ½ of the lemon zest. Fill another bowl with breadcrumbs, seasoning, salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in the olive oil mixer (making sure to get all of the lemony/garlic goodness) then coat both sides in the breadcrumb mixture. Do this one-by-one until all of your chicken is breaded. Place on a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees until fully cooked, about 15 minutes, flipping the chicken halfway through.
- While the chicken is baking, toss the salad ingredients together, but hold off on the dressing until ready to serve.
- Let the chicken cool for 5 minutes then cut into slices and lay over the salad. Add crumbled bacon, the remaining lemon zest, and dressing to taste.
- Divide salad into 2 big bowls & serve!
*If you have extra chicken, it is great leftover on top of pasta! :D
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.