Cuban Inspired Burrito Bowl
September 18, 2020
Recipe: Cuban Inspired Burrito Bowl
Author: Elle, Hamama Happiness Team Member
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Makes: 2-4 Bowls
National Hispanic Heritage Month is September 15th to October 15th, which celebrates Latin American culture and history. This flavorful and festive Cuban-style plant-powered burrito bowl is approved by my Cubana bestie and is a delicious way to enjoy Latin-inspired flavors for dinner!
Put on your favorite music and let’s get cooking! 🎵
Pico de Gallo Ingredients:
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
Freshly squeezed lime juice to taste
- Chop tomatoes, cilantro, red onion and toss into medium sized bowl
- Add in salt, garlic powder and freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cover bowl and place in fridge to marinate while preparing rest of ingredients
Burrito Bowl Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- ¼ cup white sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp cumin (or Everything but the Elote seasoning!)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups sweet potato, cubed - (If you don’t have between 90 - 170 days to grow and harvest your own sweet potatoes, store-bought/frozen & pre-cubed is fine).
- 1 - 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (reserve ¼ cup of liquid)
3 cups cooked cauliflower rice - (If you don’t have your own garden to select a fine head of fresh cauliflower, store-bought/frozen is fine).
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 lime wedges
Hamama microgreens (I’ve used Energizing Kale here).
- In a pan, heat oil over med-high heat. Saute onion and garlic for about 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in riced cauliflower, sweet potato, cumin, and salt.
- Add approximately 1/4 cup of water (or you can use liquid from the can of black beans).
- Add black beans to mixture.
- Combine all ingredients and cook for about 5 - 8 minutes, ensuring all liquid has evaporated.
- Serve up in your favorite bowl
- Remove Pico de Gallo from fridge, stir ingredients, add about ¼ cup on top of your burrito bowl
- Garnish with your favorite Hamama microgreens and some freshly squeezed lime juice
Tips: Add a little hot sauce for a spicy kick! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.