Fragrant Chicken Thighs and Rice With Peanut Sauce
Recipe: Fragrant Chicken Thighs and Rice With Peanut Sauce
Author: Allie Riebe, Happiness Team Member
Inspired by Bon Appetit's One-Pot Gingery Chicken and Rice With Peanut Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
I absolutely LOVE star anise (I was the only kid among my family and friends grabbing the black licorice flavor jelly beans at Easter). The star anise is subtle but so fragrant and really compliments the other flavors in the dish. Radish Microgreens on top add just the right amount of brightness & Zip! If you are vegetarian, I still recommend making the rice & nixing the chicken because it is so uniquely delicious and addicting!!
Chicken & Rice:
- 6 small skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb.) Can use boneless, skinless if preferred.
- 3 tsp. olive oil for cooking
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 2" piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 whole star anise (Can sub ~1 TSP of ground star anise)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce or Tamari
Vegetable Variations: Use what you love for the sides! Here are my favorites -
- 2 Zucchini or Yellow Summer Squash, sliced into discs
- 3/4 lb Broccoli Crowns
- 1 Acorn or Delicata Squash, quartered and thinly sliced
- Fresh seasonal sweet corn, steamed & taken off of the cob
- 1 English Cucumber, halved lengthwise & thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 Large Carrots, peeled and sliced on a diagonal
Sauce & Garnish:
- ½ cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 5 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 1" piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp. honey
- 1 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- A bunch of Hamama Spicy Daikon Radish Microgreens
Instructions from Bon Appetite, March 2020.
Chicken and Rice
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and season all over with salt. Arrange, skin side down in a hot Dutch oven coated with olive oil, then set over medium-high heat. Cook, undisturbed, until skin is golden brown and crisp and easily releases from pot, 8–10 minutes. Slide thighs around to different spots and continue to cook until deeply browned, 3–5 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a plate & let the pot cool 2 minutes.
- Set pot over medium-low heat; add shallots, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice and star anise and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce, ¾ tsp. salt, and 3 cups water. Nestle chicken back into rice mixture in pot, arranging skin side up. Increase heat to medium and bring liquid to a simmer. Immediately cover pot, reduce heat to low, and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let chicken and rice sit for about 10 minutes.
- Saute your choice of veggies in coconut oil with garlic, salt and pepper or Roast them in the oven after lightly tossing with melted coconut oil and seasonings.
Sauce and Assembly
- While the chicken and rice are cooking, make the sauce. Whisk peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, ginger, honey, and ¼ cup warm water in a small bowl until smooth and pourable. If the sauce looks too thick, continue adding water until it reaches a drizzle-able consistency.
- Remove lid from the pot and fluff rice with a fork. Pluck out and discard star anise (if using whole). Serve chicken and rice with peanut sauce, choice of veggie(s), radish microgreens, cilantro, and green onion. Drizzle with Sriracha if you want more heat!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.