1 cup hulled, hull-less, or pearl barley
5 shallots, thinly sliced into rings
⅓ cup olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms (such as maitake, chanterelle, and/or oyster), torn or cut into large pieces
3 sprigs thyme
2 garlic clove, crushed
3 tablespoons of vegan butter or regular butter
2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cup chopped microgreens (I chose Broccoli)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt and Pepper to taste
Your favorite Hamama Microgreens for Garnish
- Cook barley in a medium pot of boiling salted water until tender, 50–60 minutes for hulled or hull-less, 20–30 minutes for pearl. Drain; spread out on a baking sheet and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook shallots in olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to keep shallots from burning, until golden brown, 5–7 minutes. Transfer shallots to paper towels to drain; season with salt. Let cool. Set shallots aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high until just beginning to smoke. Arrange mushrooms in a skillet and cook until undersides are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, toss, and continue to cook until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium and add thyme sprigs, garlic, and butter to the skillet. Cook until butter smells nutty. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a small bowl, leaving thyme behind.
- Toss cooled barley, cilantro, parsley, microgreens, lemon juice, shallots and mushrooms in a large bowl to combine; season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, top with more microgreens if you choose and enjoy!