Recipe: Huevos Rancheros
Author: Susan Keating, Hamama grower
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Makes: 1-2 servings
Huevos Rancheros (eggs, rancher style) is a breakfast dish served in the style of the traditional large mid-morning fare on rural Mexican farms. The dish consists of fried eggs served on lightly fried or charred corn tortillas topped with a salsa or pico de gallo made of tomatoes, chili peppers, onion, and cilantro. Common variations include refried beans, Mexican-style rice, and guacamole or slices of avocado, with cilantro as a garnish.
* TIP: You can spice it up with sriracha sauce or saute in dice hot peppers with your veggies if you like it hotter! Careful when serving hot plates but they do keep it warm longer.
- 2-3 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1 cup black beans and/or refried beans (I save some black beans to garnish on top)
- 1/3 cup salsa verde
- 1/3 cup queso fresco crumbled or shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or can)
- 1/2 of a diced red bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 3 scallions chopped-light ends separated from green tops
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 1 avocado sliced or wedged
- a bunch of Hamama Microgreens
- Use an oven-friendly plate and spread your beans (if you have black beans save about a dozen for garnish later) Put plate in oven on warm (approximately 275 F ).
- Meanwhile, heat your oil in a pan on high heat and fry your corn tortillas on both sides until they start to brown and crisp up. Arrange them on top of your beans on the plate then pour your salsa verde on top and sprinkle your cheese and put back in the warm oven.
- In the same pan and oil from tortillas, fry your eggs to desired finish.
- Remove the plate from oven and arrange the eggs on top
- In the same pan used for eggs saute your tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic and the scallion bottoms with 1/2 the cilantro until scallions soften. Stir in the chili powder.
- Top the eggs with this veggie mix and then top with the dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle the other 1/2 of cilantro, scallion greens and extra black beans if reserved.
- Top with your favorite microgreens and sprinkle lime juice all over top just before eating. Arrange avocado and extra lime wedges on the side of the plate. Salt and pepper to taste but you may not need any since this is loaded with flavors!
Get Your Green Onion & Microgreens Starter Kits here!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.