Seared Scallops with Apple Quinoa Salad & Butternut Squash Puree
Recipe: Seared Scallops with Apple Quinoa Salad & Butternut Squash Puree
Author: Carolyn Severin, Hamama Happiness Team Member
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 Minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
When the months turn cooler, we start craving heartier foods, but with this dish you get a feel of the end of summer and the beginning of fall all in one! It’s a great combination with the perfect lightness plus hearty feels all around!
For the butternut squash puree
1 small butternut squash
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
For the quinoa salad
1 cup quinoa
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 ounce lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the seared scallops
1 pound sea scallops
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Trim both ends of the butternut squash and cut it in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds. Drizzle olive oil over the cut side of both halves and sprinkle a teaspoon of salt over them. Place the halves face down on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, until softened.
- While the butternut squash is cooking, prepare the quinoa. Place the quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until all the water has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat, open the lid, and let cool.
- Transfer the flesh of the butternut squash to a blender with 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the quinoa into a bowl, along with chopped apple, parsley.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa salad and combine.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter on high heat. Once it begins to smoke, add the scallops and cook until it has browned on one side. (add salt and pepper to the scallops on either side) Flip the scallops and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the size of the scallops.
- Spoon butternut squash puree onto the plate. Top with a couple spoonfuls of quinoa salad, followed by the seared scallops.Add some microgreens on top and enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.