Sticky Sesame Ginger Chicken Meatballs
Recipe: Sticky Sesame Ginger Chicken Meatballs
Author: Allie Riebe, Happiness Team Member
Inspired by Half Baked Harvest's Better than takeout Weeknight Sticky Sesame Ginger Chicken Meatballs.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Asian Chicken meatballs with ginger and sesame, coated in a perfectly sweet, spicy, and sticky sauce. Serve over freshly steamed rice and top with cilantro, green onion, sesame seeds & Hamama’s spicy daikon radish microgreens! These meatballs are made just as quickly as grabbing a take-out meal, and they’re so much healthier & gluten free too!
- 1 pound ground chicken (can sub ground turkey)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup GF panko breadcrumbs (or can sub 2 tablespoons coconut flour)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil (can also use avocado oil, coconut oil or olive oil)
Sides, Sauce & Garnish
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets or 1 winter squash, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch wedges (Can sub whatever veggies you have on hand)!
2 tablespoons sesame oil (Can sub extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (Make sure to use Tamari for gluten free)
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice (equal amounts of apple cider or orange juice are great substitutes)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (make sure to use GF, if needed)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, using more or less to taste
- Steamed brown, jasmine or basmati rice
- Sesame seeds for serving
- Hamama Spicy Daikon Radish microgreens for serving
- Green onion for serving
- Sriracha for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Add the chicken, green onions, ginger, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, cayenne, salt, pepper & sesame oil to a bowl. Mix until just combined. Roll the meat into tablespoon-size balls (will make 15-20 meatballs) placing them on one side of the prepared baking sheet. The mix will be wet, but it will firm up in the oven. Add the broccoli or winter squash (see notes) to the other side of the baking sheet and toss with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are crisp and cooked through. You can also opt to sear each side and cook the meatballs in a large pan coated with sesame/olive oil. That is my preferred method!
- Combine the 1 tablespoon oil, the soy sauce, pomegranate juice, hoisin sauce, honey, vinegar, and crushed red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Boil 5-8 minutes, until the sauce thickens and reduces by about 1/3. Remove from the heat.
- Pour about half the sauce over the meatballs, tossing to combine. Return to the oven or saute pan for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce coats the meatballs.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over bowls of rice topped with additional green onions, radish microgreens and sesame seeds. Serve the veggies on the side.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.