Vegan Crab Cakes with Crab Cake Sauce
Recipe: Vegan Crab Cakes with Crab Cake Sauce
Author: Carolyn Severin, Hamama Happiness Team Member
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Makes: 6-8 Servings
Get into beach vacation mode with this Vegan Crab Cake dish! 🦀🌱 For a healthier alternative to seafood, dairy and other non vegan/vegetarian options, you can cook up these simple crab cakes in no time! The taste is packed with that seafood feel. Add a little crab cake sauce and enjoy!
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
1 cup minced Onion
1 cup minced Celery
1 14oz can of Artichoke Hearts (well drained, finely chopped)
1 14oz can of Heart of Palm (well drained, finely chopped)
1 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning
¼ Cup Vegan Mayo
1 Cup Gluten Free Panko Bread Crumbs
Wasabi Mustard Microgreens (Garnish)
Ingredients for Crab Cake Sauce:
⅔ Cup Vegan Mayo
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tsp Lemon Zest
1 Tbsp chopped Chives
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the artichoke hearts and heart of palm (make sure they are finely chopped). Add the old bay seasoning, dulse flakes, vegan mayonnaise and cornstarch.
- Once combined in the mixing bowl, add the cooled onion, celery mixture and stir in the panko bread crumbs.
- Shape the mixture into 6-8 patties depending on how many you want to make. Once shaped, place in the freezer for 20 minutes to settle.
- Once ready, take out of the freezer and heat a skillet with a thin layer of sunflower oil on medium high until hot and simmering.
- Gently place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side. Each side should take around 3-4 minutes to brown.
- You can eat as is once ready, but I loved putting them in the oven for another 10 minutes to cook. So once you are done crisping them up in the skillet you can also have the oven turned on 450F. When ready, stick them in to brown up a little more.
- While the vegan crab cakes are cooking in the oven, get out your ingredients for the crab cake sauce and combine together in a bowl and serve it as a condiment with the dish when ready.
- Once ready, take them out of the oven and serve hot with crab cake sauce and some flavorful wasabi mustard microgreens on top! :D
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.