July 27, 2020
Recipe: Tostadas Florentinas
Author: Allie Riebe, Happiness Team Member
Prep Time: 10 Min
Cook Time: 15 Min
Makes: 6 Tostadas
Tostadas are so quick, easy, versatile and delicious! The word “Tostada” is Spanish for “toasted” and it is the name of a Mexican dish that is served on a toasted or deep fried corn tortilla. These tostadas “florentinas” are layered with a black bean mash, guacamole, goat cheese, sauteed spinach, & diced tomatoes. Pile on some red cabbage microgreens and cilantro and you have a quick meal that is as beautiful as it is tasty!!
6 Tostada Shells (or regular corn tortillas if you are making your own tostada shell)4 oz plain goat cheese (Can sub feta, shredded, or cotija cheese)2 large tomatoes, diced 10 oz of fresh baby spinachFreshly prepared guacamole [2 ripe avocados, juice from ½ lime, 1 garlic clove, 1-2 tsp minced red onion. Cilantro and sea salt to taste) Bunch of CilantroRefreshing Cabbage microgreens (sub your favorite)
Black Bean Mash (You can just sub a can of your favorite refried beans):
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed¼ cup of vegetable or olive oil 1 white onion, chopped4-6 garlic cloves, minced½-1 cup of water½ tsp sea salt¼ tsp smoked paprika, optional¼ tsp cumin, optional Dash of cayenne pepper, optional
Hamama Microgreens (red cabbage and daikon radish are my favorites for this recipe)
Mexican Hot sauce
1. Make the Black Bean Mash (Can sub your favorite canned refried beans):
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until golden, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add beans and mash coarsely with a potato masher, mashing in onion and and garlic at the same time.
- Thin beans with enough water to give them desired consistency
- Season with salt and spices.
2. Prepare your tostada shells (You can buy already prepared or bake / fry your own at home)!
To bake: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray corn tortillas on both sides with oil based cooking spray. Lay the tortillas in a single layer on top of a greased sheet pan. Lightly sprinkle salt on the tortillas. Bake them for 5 minutes, then flip them over and bake them for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the tortillas are crispy.
To fry: Heat about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a medium, deep skillet. Once the oil is hot, place one corn tortilla at a time in the oil and cook, flipping halfway once it’s lightly golden brown. Place the fried tostada on a paper towel to soak up the extra oil. Lightly sprinkle with salt and allow to cool before serving.
Store-bought Tostada Shells: You can find pre-made tostada shells at most grocery stores. I like to re-toast them at 375°F for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through, like you would with a hard taco shell.
3. Assemble the tostadas:
- Spread a thin layer of mashed black beans over the tostada shell. Layer on crumbled goat cheese, sauteed spinach, a scoop of guacamole, and diced tomatoes. Garnish with cilantro, microgreens, and hot sauce to taste!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
February 08, 2021
Do you have micro cilantro? It’s my favorite.